Enticing array of preserve Read more [...]
- CHEESEMAKER & ICE CREAM MAKER
- UNPASTEURISED MILK FROM OWN MONTBELLIER, SWEDISH RED & HOLSTEIN COWS
- VEGETARIAN RENNET
- ON FARM CAFE & RETAIL
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC BY SOIL ASSOCIATION
Already famous for their fabulous ice cream, the Finlay family have reintroduced cheese making to Rainton Farm in 2013 after a 40 year break giving an opportunity to experiment and explore the flavours and textures of different types of cheese. They now have 4 fabulous cheeses, all made by hand.
The Finlay family has been farming at Rainton since the 1920s. On farm they have their own organic beef and dairy herds of cattle. Their organic and green credentials are superb; their Visitor Centre and Café are perfect for families and their delightfully creamy ice cream in a great range of flavours has resulted in many awards and well deserved recognition.
- Carrick – Best UK Organic Cheese 2015 – A mature, farmhouse style cheese, traditionally aged, tangy, sweet and creamy. (won gold at the 2016 Artisan cheese awards)
- Laganory– light, crumbly; clean tasting with a pleasant tang.(won bronze at the 2016 Artisan cheese awards)
- Rainton Tomme – creamy flavoursome Swiss style cheese.(won silver at the 2016 Artisan cheese awards)
- Fleet Valley Blue – – mild, creamy blue cheese with a smooth texture and nutty flavour.
The menu in their spacious café features the farm’s own organic cheeses and organic beef, vegetarian and vegan dishes plus bakes, fairtrade tea and organic coffee. The full selection of luxury dairy ice cream is available together with some dairy-free sorbet options.
It is also a popular party destination and groups can be booked. Tasting events and farm tours are available daily – pre-booking is always recommended.
Finlay’s Farmhouse Cheese is available at their visitor centre, online and from local shops. Winner of Rural Tourism category for 2017 Scottish Rural Awards.