- 2 kg MacDuff Berkshire pork shoulder
- 1 pineapple
- 10 Corn tortillas/taco shells
- 2 Limes for wedges
- FOR MARINADE
- 4 ancho chilli peppers
- 5 guajillo chilli peppers
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 150 ml white vinegar
- 250 ml pineapple juice
- For Pineapple Salsa:
- 250 g of pineapple
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 sweet peppers
- 150 g baby tomatoes
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Half a red onion
- Remove the stalks and seeds from the chilli peppers, and place them in hot boiling water in a heatproof bowl until they are rehydrated, and easily pull apart.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth. Allow the marinade to cool.
- Slice the pork shoulder into 1cm slices and place in a dish with the marinade, cover in clingfilm and keep in the fridge overnight.
- Remove the top and bottom of your pineapple, and peel the skin. Laying your pineapple lengthways, aiming for two-thirds of the fruit to become your base and the remaining third to be the top of the pork tower.
- Preheat your oven to 170°C.
- Place a wooden or metal skewer through the centre of the larger pineapple portion & skewer the marinated pork in layers, finishing up with the remaining pineapple section. (Top tip: make sure that the pork tower is well balanced so it will stay upright!)
- Place your tower in the middle of a lined oven dish, and bake for 1 hour 45 minutes until the outside is lightly charred. Remove from oven and wrap in foil, rest for 20 minutes. While waiting for your pork to cook prepare your pineapple salsa, finely chop all ingredients & mix in a bowl.
- Assembling your tacos: Slice the pork on the skewer, and place in warmed tortillas/taco shells.
- Top with the pineapple salsa, garnish with chopped tomatoes, sweet peppers, and a little coriander. Serve with lime wedges and enjoy with friends and family.
Note: this also works great in a BBQ or smoker
MacDuff 1890 is a 4th generation wholesale butcher specialising in heritage breeds for discerning butchers and chefs