- Approx. 400g rosehips
- 2 tbsps soft brown unrefined sugar
- 3 L water in total
- 1 tbsp potato starch/cornflour
- Gather your rosehips, looking out for ones with good ripe colour but still hard – leave any soft ones for the birds.
- Rinse, top and tail them to remove any stalky bits.
- Place in a pan along with sugar and 1litre water and bring to the boil.
- Boil for 1 hour, adding the remaining boiling water from the kettle.
- Remove from heat and pass through a sieve to extract the skins and pips.
- Return smooth soup to the pan.
- Blend potato starch in a glass with sufficient cold water to dissolve and blend into pan.
- Bring to boil, stirring to thicken.
- Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary – it should not be sweet but depending on your variety of rosehips may need a tiny bit more.
- Delicious served hot or chilled.
Makes approx. 1.5L Serve warm or chilled in small bowls, with a swirl of cream.
recipe, photo & styling: wendy barrie