- 3 medium herring fillets - ready cured or home-soused/ approx. 250g cured herring
- 150 g muscovado sugar
- 60 mls Orkney Craft Vinegar vinegar
- 6-8 juniper berries coarsely crushed
- 4-6 water mint leaves rinsed and shredded
- A few brambles/wild berries
- A few red peppercorns
- Half a red onion rinsed and sliced finely
- Whether using a commercial tub or home cured herring, drain off vinegar.
- Cut herring into bite-sized pieces and place in a bowl.
- Heat sugar in a small saucepan with the vinegar until fully dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Add mint, juniper, onion and berries to the bowl and combine with the herring.
- Transfer the mix to a smaller bowl where the herring should be a tight fit.
- Finally pour over cooled vinegar syrup. Press down the herring with a small plate or similar to encourage maximum contact with the vinegar. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Best served the following day or the one after when the flavours are all absorbed and it becomes almost sticky glaze. Delicious with rye bread as a starter or Nordic breakfast.
recipe, photo & styling: wendy barrie