The Finlay family reintroduced cheese making to Rainton Farm in 2013 after a 40 year break giving an opportunity to experiment and explore the flavours and textures of different types of cheese. They now have a fabulous range of cheeses, skilfully made by very accomplished cheesemakers. Indeed they have already won prizes such as the one pictured for their latest cheese, the delicious blue Bluebell. Their Tomme melts perfectly on my raclette and every cheese has its own taste characteristics. Their book, The Dairy Story is now available.
- UNPASTEURISED MILK FROM OWN MONTBELIARDE, SWEDISH RED & HOLSTEIN COWS – COWS WITH CALVES
- VEGETARIAN RENNET
- CHEESEMAKING COURSES
- FARM TOURS AVAILABLE
- ONLINE CHEESE SHOP
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC BY SOIL ASSOCIATION
Formerly known as Cream O Galloway, The Finlay family has been farming at Rainton since the 1920s. They are now The Ethical Dairy with calves at foot, decreased carbon footprint and high sustainability. Their organic and green credentials are superb.
Slow Food Scotland 2022 Person of the Year: Wilma Findlay of The Ethical Dairy. “The Findlay’s run their farm and The Ethical Dairy in Dumfries and Galloway. They have confronted one of the most ‘invisible’ aspects of rearing dairy cattle regarding animal welfare and separating calves from their mothers. But they’re also farming organically, making raw milk cheese and fighting the good fight right to the brink of their own mental and physical capacities, documented in their recently published book ‘A Dairy Story’.”
They have created a beautiful a new dairy, converted from lovely old stone farm buildings to increase their production and are fast becoming the UK ‘go to’ for knowledge and experience in dairying where the calves are kept with mum.
- Carrick – Best UK Organic Cheese 2015 – A mature, farmhouse style cheese, traditionally aged, tangy, sweet and creamy. (won gold at the 2016 Artisan cheese awards)
- Laganory– light, crumbly; clean tasting with a pleasant tang.(won bronze at the 2016 Artisan cheese awards)
- Rainton Tomme – creamy flavoursome Swiss style cheese.(won silver at the 2016 Artisan cheese awards)
- Fleet Valley Blue – – mild, creamy blue cheese with a smooth texture and nutty flavour.
Their cheeses are available from the farm, online and in local shops. Winner of Rural Tourism category for 2017 Scottish Rural Awards.