Already famous for their fabulous ice cream, the Finlay family reintroduced cheese making to Rainton Farm in 2013 after a 40 year break giving an opportunity to experiment and explore the flavours and textures of different types of cheese. They now have a fabulous range of cheeses, skilfully made by very accomplished cheesemakers. Indeed they have already won prizes such as the one pictured for their latest cheese, the delicious blue Bluebell. Their Tomme melts perfectly on my raclette and every cheese has its own taste characteristics.
- CHEESEMAKER & ICE CREAM MAKER
- UNPASTEURISED MILK FROM OWN MONTBELIARDE, SWEDISH RED & HOLSTEIN COWS – COWS WITH CALVES
- VEGETARIAN RENNET
- ON FARM CAFE & RETAIL
- ONLINE CHEESE SHOP
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC BY SOIL ASSOCIATION
They have created a beautiful a new dairy, converted from lovely old stone farm buildings to increase their production and are fast becoming the UK ‘go to’ for knowledge and experience in dairying where the calves are kept with mum.
Formerly known as Cream O Galloway, The Finlay family has been farming at Rainton since the 1920s. They are now rebranded as The Ethical Dairy with calves at foot, decreased carbon footprint and high sustainability. On farm they have their own organic beef and dairy herds of cattle.
Their organic and green credentials are superb; their Visitor Centre and Café are perfect for families and their delightfully creamy ice cream in a great range of flavours has resulted in many awards and well deserved recognition.
- Carrick – Best UK Organic Cheese 2015 – A mature, farmhouse style cheese, traditionally aged, tangy, sweet and creamy. (won gold at the 2016 Artisan cheese awards)
- Laganory– light, crumbly; clean tasting with a pleasant tang.(won bronze at the 2016 Artisan cheese awards)
- Rainton Tomme – creamy flavoursome Swiss style cheese.(won silver at the 2016 Artisan cheese awards)
- Fleet Valley Blue – – mild, creamy blue cheese with a smooth texture and nutty flavour.
The menu in their beautifully re-designed café features the farm’s own organic cheeses and beef, vegetarian dishes plus bakes, fairtrade tea and organic coffee. The full selection of luxury dairy ice cream is available together with some dairy-free sorbet options.
Tasting events, workshops and farm tours are available – check availability and booking arrangements via their website.
Their cheeses are available at their visitor centre, online and from local shops. Winner of Rural Tourism category for 2017 Scottish Rural Awards.