Traditional Scottish Potato Scones
- 225 g cold cooked seasoned mashed potatoes – ideally a floury variety
- 25 g butter/rapeseed oil
- 50 g plain flour
- Half a level tsp baking powder
- Summer Harvest Rapeseed Oil
- In a bowl thoroughly mix the potatoes with softened butter and most of the flour. If the potatoes were not seasoned also add a little salt to the mix.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and mould together into one dough.
- Roll out thickly – approx. 1cm – and cut in desired shapes: use a round cutter, cut in squares then diagonally to make triangles, or use a tea plate as a guide for a good sized circle then quarter (as in photo).
- Drizzle a little oil in a frying or flat pancake pan. When hot, add scones. Cook for 3-4mins on one side until toasted then turn over and repeat.
- Keep warm under a tea towel until all completed.
Serving suggestions: Ramsays streaky bacon / Fried egg / Smoked mackerel with sour cream
recipe, photo & styling: wendy barrie