- Plain flour for dusting
- 100 g vegetable suet
- 250 g plain flour
- 3 tsps baking powder
- 75 g soft brown sugar
- 450 g assorted vine fruits
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 firm green apple grated
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 150 mlms Milk
- sugar to dust
- Scald a linen tea towel with boiling water. Ring out and lay on a surface. Sprinkle liberally with flour.
- Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine.
- Stir in apple, eggs with sufficient milk to mix to a dropping consistency.
- Pile the mixture in the centre of the prepared tea towel and gather up the edges.
- Tie into a bundle with natural string, allowing enough room for the mixture to expand.
- Place an inverted plate inside the bottom of a large pan and place the dumpling on this. Add sufficient boiling water to come about three quarters of the way up the dumpling.
- Simmer gently for 3 1/2 – 4 hours, topping up water as necessary.
- To turn out, heat an ovenproof plate. Remove dumpling from pan and untie. Turn out onto warm plate and place in a cool oven (130 C/Gas No1) for a few minutes to dry off.
- Dust with caster sugar and serve with whipped cream.
This recipe is featured as a video on Scottish Field website https://www.scottishfield.co.uk/food-anddrink/recipes/watch-how-to-make-your-own-tasty-clootie-dumpling/
recipe: wendy barrie