- 350 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsps ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice/cinnamon
- 100 g butter
- 175 g soft brown sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 4 tbsps golden syrup
- 1 tbs db cream
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Heat oven 190 C.
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl and rub in butter to mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and add syrup and cream. Whisk together with a fork and add to dry mix, using the fork to blend thoroughly into a paste.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface. Using your hands, mould together to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out thinly onto a floured surface and cut out desired shapes. Lift carefully onto baking sheet. Biscuit dough needs 12-15 minutes to bake until a rich rust colour.
- Rest for a few minutes then place finished biscuits on a wire cooling tray and leave to harden.
- Decorate with royal icing for a more durable finish.
Makes 1 house, 8 gingerbread folk or many more biscuits if small.