- 2 parsnips - peeled/scrubbed and cut in wedges
- 2 carrots - peeled/scrubbed and cut in wedges
- 2 beets – boiled and peeled
- 1 onion – peeled & cut in chunks
- Sea salt and freshly milled pepper
- 1 tsp fine mixed herbs – rosemary, oregano, bay
- 1 fresh Scottish chilli – or more if you prefer
- Supernature rapeseed oil
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- For dumplings…
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 100 g Ark of Taste Golspie Mill peasemeal
- pinch Blackthorn sea salt
- Chopped oregano
- Milk to mix
- Pre-heat oven 190 C.
- Drizzle heavy-based casserole lightly with oil and sauté roots to roast the edges for 15 minutes or so. Season and mix together.
- Add tinned tomatoes and herbs. Stir, bring to boil and simmer until vegetables almost cooked with the sauce rich and flavoursome.
- Meanwhile make dumplings: Place dry ingredients in a bowl then mix with sufficient milk to make a moist dough.
- Place spoonfuls of dumplings on top of dish and simmer (covered to steam) for 15 minutes until the dumplings are puffed up and set.
- Remove the lid for the final few minutes to allow the dumplings to dry a little on top.
- Serves: 4-6
Fresh chillies available from Galloway Chillies
Peasemeal from Golspie Mill/Green City Wholefoods