- 100 g St Andrews Farmhouse Cheddar grated - SF Ark of Taste - see link
- 1/4 tsp Isle of Skye Sea Salt SF Ark of Taste - see link
- 225 g plain flour
- 150 g cold butter
- 2 tsps lemon juice
- 6 tblsps Cold water (Approx)
- Add salt to flour and rub in 50g of the measured butter.
- Cut remaining cold butter into small cubes and drop into sieved flour.
- Add lemon juice, grated cheese and most of the water and mix gently together with a palette knife. Add remaining water as necessary.
- Tip this rather rough mass onto a floured surface and shape into a brick, using the palette knife or a rolling pin.
- Press gently/roll into a rough rectangle and fold over itself in thirds. Roll and fold three times more, making 4 rollings in all. During baking these thin layers of butter melt and are absorbed by the flour creating lovely flakes of pastry.
- Finally roll out pastry and cut in lengths for cheese straws, or shape as you wish.
- Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment at 220 C (Gas No7) for approx. 15mins until the straws are a rich golden hue.
- Serve warm or cold and they freeze beautifully so can be made well in advance.
St Andrews Farmhouse Cheese https://scottishfoodguide.com/places/united-kingdom/fife/pittenweem/cheesetrail/st-andrews-farmhouse-cheese-co/
Isle of Skye Sea Salt https://scottishfoodguide.com/places/united-kingdom/highland/dunvegan/producers/isle-of-skye-sea-salt-2/
recipe, food styling & photo: wendy barrie