Here's an opportunity to clear out that larder and experiment. The perfect time to use up that morsel left in a bottle or jar: sweet flavours become tart fillings, savouries for pizza toppings, with chutneys, vinegars and chillies ideal for spicy soups. This thrifty tomato soup is highly adaptable to what you have at hand.
- a knob of butter
- a generous handful of diced leeks/onion
- Mixed dried herbs – marjoram, bay, garlic
- Isle of Skye Sea Salt
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 1 dstsp Orkney Craft Kelp Vinegar
- 1 tsp local honey
- 1 medium can good quality chopped tomatoes plus a canful of water
- Leftover veg – a few cooked potatoes /carrot batons
- Grated Loch Arthur or artisan mature farmhouse for topping
- Sweat leeks in pan with butter, adding herbs and seasoning.
- Add vinegar and honey. Stir.
- Add tomatoes with water and leftover veg.
- Simmer for 10-15minutes to allow flavours to absorb and tomatoes to cook into rich soup.
- Blend or not – it’s up to you.
- Serves 2
recipe, photo & styling: wendy barrie