Pasture-fed ruminants, whether grazing grass or hefted on moors, bring many benefits and the marbling present is a healthy nourishing fat giving marvellous flavours to the meat. Such animals could not be more different from grain fed beasts on densely populated feedlots. Industrialised farming methods are linked with lower welfare standards, felling of rain forests for grain production and GM soy feed. Scottish pasture-fed cattle could not be more different.
- 300 g Macbeth’s Highland rump steak see link
- Blackthorn Scottish sea salt see link
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 3 onions peeled & cut in chunks
- 50 g butter
- A dram of Benromach Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky see link
- Summer Harvest Rapeseed Oil
- Chillies homegrown from Sheena at Galloway Chillies - see link
- Dice beef into evenly sized morsels and place in a bowl with a drizzle of rapeseed oil. Season.
- Heat another dash of oil in a pan along with the butter. Meanwhile peel and slice onions. Slow roast onions over a medium heat to caramelize. Add a little chilli to taste if wished.
- Thread beef onto skewers and heat another pan to chargrill for 6-8 minutes, turning regularly to cook evenly.
- Remove skewers from pan and allow to rest in a warm place.
- When the onions are nearly ready, transfer to beef pan to absorb any juices left behind.
- Finally remove pan from heat and add Benromach to onions.
- Serve skewers with onions on heated plates with new potatoes and mixed herb salad.
Macbeths Butcher & Game https://scottishfoodguide.com/places/united-kingdom/moray/forres/producers/macbeths-of-forres/
Blackthorn Scottish Sea Salt https://scottishfoodguide.com/places/united-kingdom/ayr-2/ayr-3/producers/blackthorn-scottish-sea-salt/
Benromach Single Malt Speyside Whisky https://scottishfoodguide.com/places/united-kingdom/moray/forres/producers/benromach-distillery/
Galloway Chillies https://scottishfoodguide.com/places/united-kingdom/dumfries-and-galloway/wigtown/producers/galloway-chillies/
Summer Harvest Rapeseed oil https://scottishfoodguide.com/places/united-kingdom/perth-and-kinross/crieff/producers/summer-harvest-oils/