With family in Kreuzberg we have great fun together checking out trends and markets in this foodie hotspot. A favourite pastime is finding one of the many hipster cafés offering brunch so I call this dish my Berlin Brunch. Simply a pancake batter, oven baked until golden, topped with hot smoked trout, a drizzle of runny local honey and a local free range poached egg.
- 75 g strong flour
- 1 rounded tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- Isle of Skye Sea Salt see link below
- 180 mls whole milk
- a drizzle of Supernature rapeseed oil see link below
- For topping…
- 1 fillet hot smoked trout see link below
- 1 poached egg per person
- soft or runny heather honey
- Freshly milled black pepper
- Measure flour into bowl and add remaining ingredients keeping back half the milk. Mix with a balloon whisk until smooth then whisk in remaining milk. It should be a smooth quite runny batter.
- Place in lined individual ovenproof dishes - a circle of baking parchment to line the dish allows the pancake combo to slip easily onto a plate. Bake for 15-20minutes in a very hot preheated oven 220C.
- Poach an egg per person in readiness for the finished dish.
- Remove pancake dishes from oven when well risen and set. Top with flaked fish, drizzle with a little honey and finish with poached egg and a twist of black pepper.
HS Murray - trout
Isle of Skye Sea Salt https://scottishfoodguide.com/places/united-kingdom/highland/dunvegan/producers/isle-of-skye-sea-salt-2/
Summer Harvest Rapeseed Oil https://scottishfoodguide.com/places/united-kingdom/perth-and-kinross/crieff/producers/summer-harvest-oils/